Monday, May 26, 2008

What is it really all about?

Very recently, out youth group has been going through a huge argument about the way things are happening and the way our youth pastor runs the group. They are saying that they don't think Freddy teaches and that the don't get anything out of it and that he doesn't plan enough "games" or "activities". They are also saying that the dark lighting and the lights during worship and the sermon's being "too deep" are distracting and un-necessary.
All I want to know is: What is church about, then? Is it about the lighting or the youth pastor or the worship? That would, or to others who think otherwise, SHOULD be a big, fat NO. Church isn't about what YOU want. Saying things like "Well, if the lighting were better and there weren't candles everywhere or the pastor talked about something I actually cared about...then I could focus on God." That is ridiculous. First off, we should be looking for God in all the places we can. Second off, IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. Maybe I should say that again...IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!!!! It's about God. Always. No matter what songs you sing or how the bright or dark the stupid lights are, it's about God and him alone.
I don't care if Freddy changes it for the other people (which I doubt he would, because yet again, it's not about them). I can worship God wherever.
And what about the other perspective. Others may love the dark and candles and such and find something opposite of that distracting. The honest truth is that you can't please everyone, but it's not about pleasing us, it's all about God. Always. Every time. And God doesn't care how you worship him. Just that you are.
I could say a lot more, and I probably will, but I just wanted to get that out there in the open. I so tired of this broken community. I'm so tired of the selfishness (even though you think you aren't being selfish, YOU ARE).

I love you all and I am not trying to be mean or to be right or whatever. I just am tired of all this tension and fighting and stuff. Peace.

4 comments:

Ryan Weiss said...

Hey Liz.

Its Ryan Weiss. And i agree, but the thing that saddens me is that the community is going behind Freddy's back and starting this.

Where is the heart of love that God gave our commmunity?

When has it ever been about us?

Liz, this is something that involves everyone and affects everyone.

Make this known, soon. Im game.

Weiss

Kyle P said...

I'm behind you liz, i'd gladly discuss to anyone with you and articulate what wednesday nights are all about. The only thing i can say is be careful with the tone you use. I'm not saying your tone is incorrect but with what i've heard from lucas and mason and the note on facebook it sounds like it could really easily go to a bad place.Make sure when you are in these discussions that everyone checks their attitude and checks their tone. Glad to see you're not afraid to speak your voice. I'll be praying for you.

Unknown said...

good word girl. keep praying. don't get hung up, but continue to process, continue to see the opportunity and the possibility. most importantly don't miss god in all of this. god is a big god.

GOD IS LOVE.

love.

Liz said...

Thanks everyone for your comment. And Kyle, I completely understand what you are saying. And my new blog was apologizing for the tone I used in this one. And although this one was what I really think to be true, I was saying more through frustration and anger.

And you soooo right Ryan. Just the way the whole thing was dealt with was not the way a community of Christ followers should've handled it and I am ashamed that I contributed in some respect, but there are things that I believe God had me say.

I am always going to try and fight for what's right a true. I'm so glad I have you all to be there with me doing the same. :)

Peace.