Saturday, July 5, 2008

What Makes A Friend A Friend?

I don't really have the answer to this...but I've been thinking about it a lot.

I recently (like...two days ago...) had a conversation with my "best friend". I put that in quotations, because even though we do everything together and we spend every second together and I love her a lot...she didn't know me and I didn't know her. We were sitting at Starbucks and I decided that that was the day I was going to tell her everything about me. It was a tough conversation. She doesn't really know how to talk to people, because she hasn't done it a lot....it's uncomfortable for her. But, I tried to let her know that the more you do it, the easier it gets. I hated talking to people to. Not like "Hey, how ya doing" kinda thing, but deep, messy, crazy, real conversations. I HATED THEM. Until...I guess it was December when I had a deep, messy, crazy, real conversation that absolutely changed my entire life. Now, I can't get enough of conversations. CONVERSATIONS SHAPE LIVES.

Where am I getting at with the whole "What makes a friend a friend?"
Freddy once said, "You may think that your best friend is your friend, but if you aren't have deep, authentic conversations with them, then they are just an acquaintance."

I think that there are a few people out there who need to have a few conversations.
I am so passionate about conversations, because I have a had a few that have made me who I am today...

Do some deep thinking this week. Pray this week. Talk to your "friends" this week.
Make this week count.
And then it should be habit; every week will count.

Don't let life just happen.

Peace
Liz

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so good, Liz.
The one thing that separates my "friends" from my friends is these deep conversations...
And yes, conversations do change lives and once you start having these conversations on a regular basis, you become so close to that person so fast that it's scary almost... But seriously, it's worth it.
Also, I love your blogs :) They're good.

Kyle P said...

I love watching you wrestle with things and ask questions and grow the way you do. You're so open to sharing whats going through your head and i love it. I may not be a friend yet, but i will have a messy talk with you sometime and we'll become friends.

Liz said...

Thanks guys for the encouragment and comments. :)
I just feel a passion lately that I haven't felt before...
It's exciting.

And Kyle...call me up, dude. :D

Liz